The Future of Driving: How Voice AI is Revolutionizing the In-Car Experience
With growing consumer interest in using voice artificial intelligence to enhance the driving experience, manufacturers must stay competitive and overcome challenges to provide the best in-car voice technology.
The automotive industry is undergoing a major transformation, thanks in part to the rise of voice artificial intelligence (AI). Voice AI is enabling cars to become more autonomous, more personalized, and more connected.
With growing consumer interest in using voice AI to enhance the driving experience, manufacturers must stay competitive and provide drivers with the latest in-car technology.
Other factors driving the race to incorporate voice AI in cars are a demand for autonomous vehicles and new government regulations for vehicle and road safety. According to a recent report from the UK’s Transport Research Laboratory, driver distraction is significantly higher when using touchscreen technologies as opposed to voice-activated systems.
This finding has led to an increased call for implementing voice AI systems, which can operate at a more complex level.
Currently, voice control systems are limited to a set of essential commands; however, thanks to conversational AI, these systems will soon be able to understand all forms of dialogue and offer a versatile, natural interaction with users.
This expansion in the development of voice AI has revolutionized the in-car experience for drivers and passengers alike.
An example of how far voice AI in cars has come is BMW's i Vision Dee, which enables drivers to interact with the metaverse from within the car. Also, using Cerence's Exterior Vehicle Communication system, drivers can use their voice to activate functions from outside the vehicle.
General Motors has also jumped into the artificial intelligence revolution by partnering with Microsoft to explore ways to use OpenAI’s ChatGPT to power virtual assistants in GM’s cars.
Read on to learn more about how car manufacturers are applying voice in smart cars and the challenges and opportunities.
What is Voice AI?
Voice AI, or voice artificial intelligence, is a technology that enables machines to understand and respond to human speech. It involves using machine learning algorithms and natural language processing techniques to process and interpret spoken language. Voice AI is used in various applications such as virtual assistants, smart home devices, and in-car voice assistants.
How Car Manufacturers are Applying Voice AI Technology
Here are some ways car manufacturers apply voice AI technology:
1. Voice-activated Features: Many car manufacturers are integrating voice-activated features into their vehicles. These features allow drivers to perform various tasks, such as making phone calls, sending text messages, or adjusting the car's temperature, all without taking their hands off the wheel or their eyes off the road.
Cerence is bringing voice activation to the outside of the car, with its Exterior Communication System letting drivers give voice commands without sitting in the car. For example, a driver can unlock the doors, open the trunk, or turn the lights on all from outside the vehicle. Cerence’s voice AI features also can help with autonomous parking.
With multiple exterior microphones, drivers can also talk with people outside the car without rolling down the windows. Cerence says security is offered via key and voice biometric identification.
2. Personalized Assistance: Some car manufacturers use voice AI technology to create personalized assistants for drivers. This personalization involves using natural language processing and machine learning to understand the driver's needs and preferences and provide customized recommendations and solutions.
BMW's car voice AI can learn drivers' habits and moods and adjust accordingly, from a color-changing skin—up to 32 colors—to augmented reality capabilities allowing riders to participate in the metaverse and connect virtually with friends and family from the car. The car also greets drivers with their avatars on the driver’s side window.
3. Auto Diagnostics: GM Vice President Scott Miller told Reuters that the ChatGPT virtual assistant they plan to develop would surpass standard voice commands. Instead, the voice AI-driven system will give drivers information about their car’s features and be able to provide diagnostic advice when warning lights appear or give instructions on how to change a tire via video explanation on the car’s infotainment display.
4. In-Car Entertainment: Car manufacturers use voice AI technology to enhance in-car entertainment systems. Drivers can use voice to control music or podcast playback and control navigation. BMW takes it further with its Vision Dee’s AR capabilities, which will project “full virtual worlds” onto the windshield.
5. Smart Home Integration: Car manufacturers integrate voice AI technology with smart home devices like Amazon Alexa or Google Home. With Internet access, drivers can control their cars from their homes, office, or anywhere else. GM’s virtual assistant will also help program garage door codes.
Challenges in Integrating Voice AI in Cars
When integrating voice AI technology into their vehicles, automotive manufacturers must consider a range of factors, including the accuracy of the voice recognition software and the ability of the system to work with other systems in the car.
One of the biggest challenges is ensuring the voice AI system can recognize and respond to various commands, questions, and different accents and dialects. In addition, road and other background noise and a car full of people talking simultaneously impede the accuracy of a voice recognition system.
Another challenge is ensuring that the voice AI system can work seamlessly with other systems in the car, such as the GPS or entertainment system.
Additionally, manufacturers must address privacy and security concerns to ensure that the voice AI system is not vulnerable to hacking or other cyber threats.
Future Developments in Voice AI Technology for Smart Cars
As voice AI technology in smart cars continues to evolve, we expect to see new developments that will further enhance the in-car experience for drivers and passengers.
One area of focus is improving the accuracy and speed of voice AI systems, making them even more responsive and efficient.
Car manufacturers are increasingly turning to voice AI technology to enhance the driving experience, increase safety, and improve vehicle performance. By using voice AI to control various functions in the car, passengers could have a more personalized and interactive experience while on the road.
However, manufacturers must also ensure that the voice AI systems they use are accurate and can work in any environment, under any circumstances, especially when it comes to safety issues.
We expect to see even more innovative applications as this technology continues evolving.
Kardome is part of the voice AI revolution. Kardome’s Spatial Hearing technology enables car manufacturers to implement the highest voice recognition, voice ID, and wake word recognition accuracy. Contact us to learn more.